Learning to drive

Find us on Facebook

You're 17

Now you have hit that age you’ve been waiting for, you can now have some freedom and drive! 

Before you do there are a few things you need to get.

Provisional Licence

There are a few ways which you can get your hands on a provisional licence.

You will not be issued with a licence until the DVLA are satisfied they know who you are! 

Online – you will have to register a User ID and Password.  Simple click on the link below and follow the instructions.

Digital Passport holders – simply type in the 9 digit number so the DVLA can identify you.


Apply in person – request an order form by following the link and select the D1 Pack.  When you send this off up will also need to include a copy of your birth certificate, a coloured passport photo and £45.00. 

Digital Passport holders – write the 9 digit number and signature into the box provided.


Other means of identification

If you do not have a digital passport you will need to send the following with your application form.

  • Current Passport
  • Identity Card issued by a member state of the European Community/ European Economic area. (EC/EEC)
  • Any travel documents issued by the Home Office
  • UK certificate of neutralisation

These documents should be returned within 10 working days, but NOT your licence.  If they don’t then contact the DVLA. 

Your Photo requirements

  • Colour, size 45mm x 35mm
  • Must be recent and shows the whole of your face.  DO NOT go in there wearing hats, helmets or sunglass!  You can wear your day to day glasses if you wear them.
  • This photo must be signed by the same person who completes section 7 of the D1 form. 
    The person who signs this photo must:
  • Live in the UK
  • Has known you personally for 2 years
  • Not a relative